Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Finished two more books...

Finished reading 'The Unquiet' by John Connolly and 'Darkest Fear' by Harlan Coben. Yep, I'm a readaholic, plus I read fast. Not sure if I'm technically a speed reader but was tested prior to taking a speed reading class and they said I didn't need the class. Scored high on comprehension also, which is a definite plus. Reading fast means nothing if you can't retain anything.

Well, this blog isn't supposed to be about me and my many talents, although I guess you're going to get to know me over time. You can discover some things about a person just by the kind of books they read. I go through reading fits so I'd guess that says I'm eclectic? or more unflattering: scattered!

I told you recently that I had read all of Harlan Coben's books. I didn't knowingly fib, I just didn't realize I'd missed one. 'Darkest Fear' is excellent. You get to the end only to find there's another ending... only to find you really didn't get to the end 'cause there's another level, another twist. Loved this one.

In 'Darkest Fear' Coben's main characters, Myron Bolitar and Win (Windsor Horne Lockwood III), team up with some of my other favorites. Myron is told by his ex-college girlfriend that he is the father of her teenage son. The 13-year old is dying of a terminal disease and Bolitar's help is needed to track down an elusive bone marrow donor. Something that starts out seemingly innocent spirals into a can't-stop-reading-thriller.

The book is published by Dell, a division of Random House. It is an oldie, copyright 2000.

If you haven't read any of Coben's books I'd suggest you head to the library or the nearest new or used bookstore and start at the beginning. You can pick them up anywhere but they're much better when you grow with the characters, learn about the things that have influenced them, meet those who jump, fall, intrude into the main character's lives.

John Connolly's 'The Unquiet' is another outstanding book. I love the way Connolly brings in just a touch of the supernatural with a healthy dose of skepticism and soul-searching from his main character, Charlie Parker. Connolly weaves a tale that envelopes the reader, makes you step inside the book and walk along side not just Parker, but some of the others who cross his path.

I found myself, just like Charlie Parker, feeling some sympathy for a murderer. I justified his actions as though they were mine in the same situation. It takes a good author to make you part of the story!

'The Unquiet' is a story of child abuse, murder, horrible secrets and violence. Connolly builds layer upon layer to reach a conclusion that had me immediately wanting to read his next book. 

This is another older book, although not quite so old as 'Darkest Fear'. It was first published in 2007 by Atria Books. Connolly is also an author who's work is best when read in order. However it's been a while since I read a book by Connolly (sorry to say) and I didn't remember enough about past characters to connect the dots. It didn't detract from the reading of the book at all. In fact, I decided I was going to write a list of his book titles and buy them all. I'm going to re-read this one when I get to it in the line of titles.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love comments. Hate links.